It didn't matter. He said we deserved to win, and that was really nice. I had no TV, no Internet and plenty of time on my hands. But that scenario seems unlikely with the Argentinians outscoring their opponents 14-2 so far. While the Yanks could have squeezed through with a draw, they lined up in the tunnel gunning for a win. For their part, Argentina were bounced out of the quarterfinals after losing to Brazil on penalties, squandering their chance to make a bold statement on the heels of a disappointing World Cup. “I said to Claudio [Reyna] at one point: ‘This guy does know we speak Spanish, right?’”, The pair were staring each other down before a meeting that summer in Uruguay. Simeone got up, and wanted to start a fight. I might have to buy another ugly T-shirt. My first U.S. national team game would not be my last, and sure enough, there have been 119 USMNT “caps” for me since that game 21 years ago. Meanwhile, the USA went on to prove their point: in the biggest international competitions, against the toughest opponents, the Americans can not be written off. All Rights Reserved. As the midfielder entered the field, it was clear that 45 minutes on the bench had done little to calm his tongue. That was apparently exactly what Eric Wynalda needed to hear, as he finished off a low cross into an empty net in the 58th minute, delivering a knockout punch to one of the strongest teams in the world. “A lot of guys told me I never looked faster than after that goal,” Klopas says laughing. With the Copa America quarterfinals about to kick off, Goal.com rewinds the clock to the 1995 Copa, when the United States surprised the Western hemisphere by finishing fourth. “We came to Uruguay and beat Argentina, so we earned instant hero status,” Wynalda says. But it's what the Copa America Centenario has served up right here on our American shores -- Dempsey vs Messi and USA vs Argentina. The Americans got off to a great start in the 20th minute when Chicago Fire legend and current Montreal Impact head coach Frank Klopas hit a daisy-cutter into the lower right corner from just inside the box. The day USA beat Argentina in Copa América: 'Simeone threatened to kill us' The tournament kicks off in the US next week. “However, they put in a tremendous effort defensively and still had the attacking ability to get in behind.”, In the 35th minute, Jones would square up his defender once again, skipping past him and producing a low cross to the near post. Daniel Passarella made changes to his side and chose to rest key players, including Simeone. We got tickets on the Buquebus slow ferry across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires to Montevideo. They had not only outfought Argentina, but also outplayed them. Argentina vs. USA Prediction: 3-1 Argentina. CONMEBOL only has 10 member associations, which makes organizing a tournament a little tricky. It was a euphoric evening for all connected with the United States. Memories of attending my first U.S. national team game. The USMNT would ultimately finish fourth in the tournament, after beating Mexico on penalties in the quarterfinals, losing a close 1-0 semifinal match-up against Brazil, and then running out of gas in a 4-1 defeat to Colombia in the third place match. Motivated by Passarella’s lack of respect, the US camp were determined to prove a point. Below are the rosters for the Copa América 1995 football tournament in Uruguay, from 5 to 23 July 1995.For this edition Mexico and the United States were invited once again. In July the 1995 Copa América started. With the United States now feeling ambitious, Argentina were desperately trying to salvage some pride. Argentina, playing in their first major tournament in the post-Maradona era, were eager to turn the page after a disappointing Round Of 16 defeat to Romania in the World Cup the previous summer. Eleven minutes later, the Americans grabbed the match by the scruff of the neck when fearsome Viking warrior central defender Alexi Lalas snuck a tap-in underneath the Argentine keeper. Throughout its long, albeit not quite contiguous, history, the United States Men’s National Team has racked up some famous victories. Match Odds: Argentina -210, USA +600, Draw +325 (Matchup Report).