I figured out the timing and pace and I thought it went well. ROUND 11: Two right hands from Garcia back Vargas up. I think the knockdown made a difference. Dodgers’ Alex Wood says the Dodgers’ 15-3 victory in Game 3 was a result of the team showing little passion in the first two NLCS games vs. Atlanta. When it comes to dominance, facing NFC West is best for Rams’ Aaron Donald. With the Dodgers playing not too far away from where Clayton Kershaw grew up, it gives them a chance to see the Dodgers pitcher in the playoffs. Mikey Garcia vs. Jessie Vargas fight ... champion Errol Spence Jr. in their pay-per-view clash last April. "As the fight went on, I started feeling that I was hurting him and closing the gap a little bit more. Spence flicked his jab in the first three rounds but started to deliver the punch with greater force in the fourth round. Left uppercut caught Vargas leaning over. Good combo from Garcia. I would like a rematch. All Rights Reserved. ROUND 8: Garcia in full control using his jab to set up right hands. Huge power shots. 11:45 pm ET, at "I feel very happy to be back and I did have to make adjustments to his height, reach and natural size," Garcia said. They will go the distance. I'm ready to get back in with the best," Garcia said. Alex Wood explains what changed for the Dodgers in Game 3. Garcia was undefeated in his first 20 professional fights with 17 of them coming by way of knockout. Even on the inside, he was too strong for Garcia, who prepared for this fight by spending five weeks in the San Francisco Bay Area facility of former BALCO mastermind Victor Conte. I tried to make adjustments and he kept executing.”. Carlos Correa homered with one out in the ninth inning and the Houston Astros beat the Tampa Bay Rays 4-3 to remain alive in the ALCS. After signing a one-fight deal with future options to fight on DAZN under the promotional banner of Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Sport, Garcia also put himself in a great spot to possibly draw Manny Pacquiao this summer. I give him credit," Vargas said. Boxing didn’t care about Garcia’s back story, courage or ambition, as the laws of physics were imposed on the Oxnard-born fighter in the form of Spence’s continuous stream of sledgehammer punches. Mikey Garcia made a captivating protagonist. California’s November election will feature 12 statewide ballot measures. A late Vargas rally kept the scorecards close as Garcia took home judges scores of 114-113, 116-111, 116-111 in a fight he visibly dominated after a slow start. 11:49 pm ET, at 14, California voters will be asked for more borrowing to keep stem cell research going. Garcia had trouble closing the distance and the couple of desperate leaping left hooks he threw were a couple of inches short of their intended targets. 12:10 am ET, at The decision is one he could one day look back and regret. Garcia also resculpted his body to move up from the 135-pound lightweight division to the 147-pound welterweight division. Right cross scores for Vargas. I took him closer to the corner and caught him with a good right hand that knocked him down," Garcia said. Garcia trying to time the perfect finishing shot. I thought it was a close fight. Garcia, the 31-year-old world lightweight champion, is arguably the most technically sound and intelligent fighter in any weight class. (Richard W. Rodriguez / Associated Press). ", Mikey Garcia def. 11:58 pm ET, at Shawndell Winters via 5th-round TKO. If Garcia was anything, he was resilient. 6-keys: media/spln/boxing/reg/free/stories_live-blog. Garcia reached the final bell, of which he said he was proud. “I couldn’t get my rhythm going and he did what he had to do. He was outlanded 345-75. Good right hand from Vargas. ROUND 9: The threat of Garcia's right hand has kept this one from heating up. Hard left hand from Garcia causes Vargas to take a step back and shake his head. Clayton Kershaw’s struggles in the sixth helped the Braves win Game 4, but the blame for the loss runs through the batting order and into the front office. R7: Right hand to the side of the head from Garcia. Garcia is known as a patient fighter with good punching power, a natural right-hander who likes to switch to southpaw during some of his fights. R9: Give the slight edge to Garcia for ring generalship. Hard jabs from Garcia. Blood still flows from Vargas' nose. 11:46 pm ET, at I'm not arguing or disputing the decision, but I did think it was close. © 2004-2020 CBS Interactive. 12:03 am ET, at I did have to make adjustments to his height, reach and natural size. "Mikey fought a great fight. Clayton Kershaw’s friends crave for his success — and anguish in his struggles. Garcia’s well-being started to become a serious concern in the sixth round. 11:44 pm ET, at "I started to hurt him as the rounds went by. Spence’s primary weapon in the early round was his jab, which he sometimes threw in succession two or three times, then followed up with a sweeping left. 12:06 am ET, at "Over time, he started to feel the power and I hurt him again. 10-9 Garcia. 11:54 pm ET, at Hernandez: Clayton Kershaw doesn’t deserve all the blame for the Dodgers’ Game 4 woes. Be sure to subscribe to the State of Combat with Brian Campbell podcast for for the best in boxing coverage each week. He went on to hurt the 30-year-old Vargas twice more but was unable to force the stoppage even though referee Jon Schorle appeared close to stepping in late in Round 7 when Vargas was pinned against the ropes. The Dodgers boast a first-rate analytics and a payroll most general managers would die for, and yet they are on the brink of another lost playoff run. Give the close round to Vargas for the busy second half, 10-9. This is one-sided. Now Garcia goes for the finish along the ropes. Although the Rams’ Aaron Donald dominates all of the NFL, when checking the statistics it seems the defensive tackle performs better against NFC West rivals. R10: Right to the body from Vargas is countered with a jab from Garcia. He pins Vargas on the ropes and goes to the body. He defeated the larger Antonio Margarito in this very building in 2010, but he received punishment. I felt that my speed and power was all perfect, and I was able to put it into effect against a bigger guy.". Get the latest on L.A.'s teams in the daily Sports Report newsletter. ROUND 12: Vargas hustling to make this a phone booth fray in the final frame. He turned pro in 2006 and signed with Bob Arum's Top Rank. But he engaged Garcia in shoulder-to-shoulder combat over the last handful of rounds, ripping his smaller opponent with devastating combinations to the body and head. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. 12:05 am ET, at Another right hand wobbles Vargas. Garcia’s brother-trainer, Robert Garcia, wanted to stop the fight in the later rounds. pic.twitter.com/SNZtJpPjRD, Garcia: "I feel very happy to be back. 10-9 Garcia. ROUND 7: Vargas jabs to the body. To his credit, Vargas never stopped trying to win. I've got it 78-73 for Garcia. ROUND 10: Nice counter right from Vargas to remind Garcia he's here. Spence backed Garcia against the ropes and started to rip him with combinations to the body. Garcia (40-1, 30 KOs) shook off an 11-month layoff following his first defeat and proved his welterweight power by dropping a tough Jessie Vargas (29-3-2, 11 KOs) en route to a unanimous decision inside The Ford Center Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. Give the round to Garcia for hurting him with the right hand. Hey 49ers! Former champion Manny Pacquiao, who watched the proceedings from ringside with an eye toward a future showdown with the winner, knows something about that. “He didn’t want to let me get hit more, but I told him I was fine and I tried to go out there and pull it off,” Garcia said. 12 rounds of great action. CBS Sports also scored the bout 116-111. 11:55 pm ET, at But that know-how wasn’t enough to overcome superior strength and length of a power-punching southpaw two weight divisions up. In the real world, attempts to do the unimaginable typically end the way Garcia’s challenge of welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. did Saturday night, with broken dreams and a face covered in red welts. The Dodgers are routed by the Atlanta Braves 10-2 in Game 4 of the NLCS and are one loss away from being eliminated from the postseason. I was light on my feet when I had to [be], and I was solid on my feet when I had to [be]. Vargas comes back to the body but he's visibly fading. pic.twitter.com/G0o5N0rmp6. R11: Vargas twice counters jabs with rights to the body. Give the final frame to Vargas thanks to two big shots at the bell, 10-9. Endorsement: The Times endorses Hoffman, Anderson, Henderson and Han for LACCD. He's a warrior, there is no doubt. Where to vote. Garcia connected on only 18.5% of the total punches he threw over the 12 brutal rounds, according to the CompuBox punch-tracking system. R6: Vargas fights him off to avoid any further trouble but it's another round for Garcia, 10-9. How to vote. Stubborn to prove his legitimacy as a welterweight, Mikey Garcia doubled down at 147 pounds on Saturday night and let his right hand do the talking. I think I want to continue to campaign at 147 and search a title in my fifth division.". ALCS: Carlos Correa hits walk-off homer to keep Astros alive. Left hand to the body from Vargas. 10-8 for Garcia. Photos from Game 4 of the National League Championship Series between the Dodgers and the Atlanta Braves at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas. 11:42 pm ET. 11:50 pm ET, at Dylan Hernández is a sports columnist with the Los Angeles Times. 12:11 am ET, at Despite their money and analytics, Dodgers keep disappointing in playoffs. I think he has good pop and credit to Mikey. Mikey Garcia, left, takes a blow to the body from Errol Spence Jr. during the ninth round of the IBF welterweight championship bout on March 16, 2019, in Arlington, Texas. Garcia dropped every round on every scorecard in the first defeat of his career. at 12:09 am ET, at Vargas lands a lead hook before the bell. Jessie Vargas via unanimous decision (114-113, 116-111, 116-111)Roman Gonzalez def. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: boxing | pageType: stories | 12:38 am ET, at 12:20 am ET, at Garcia bloodied the nose of Vargas and wobbled him with combinations in Round 5 before sending him to the canvas with a hard right cross. Proposition 14 asks voters to approve $5.5 billion in general obligation bonds for the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, known as CIRM, for stem cell research. How did you score this fight? “He came out here with a good game plan and kept the distance at his favor,” Garcia said. Mikey Garcia and his wife of eight years, Fatima Garcia, have three children, the oldest being his daughter, Annjie, with two sons, Ryu and Django. He lines up a two-punch combo but isn't rushing or taking the chance he would wear himself out.